The challenge of developing embedded mechatronic systems for smart products has never been greater. During the initial 60% of the development process, no physical prototypes exist. This means that fewer than 10% of systems engineers have the opportunity to validate systems and their sub-systems in a complete product. This makes it impossible to validate and optimize a system’s behavior or to fully understand its interaction with other systems in its target environment and across all possible product configurations.
In this era of smart products, where products are often differentiated in the marketplace by their innovative capabilities that are implemented within the product. Many of these capabilities are delivered through embedded systems, the source of up to 80% of today’s smart product innovations. Such systems can account for more than 40% of a new products development costs and are defined by many thousands of market, product, system and regulatory requirements.
Embedded & mechatronic systems designers typically use hundreds of disconnected systems engineering tools to implement these systems. These legacy and proprietary tools create many different and separate models of the systems that are largely disconnected from each other, with the result that they:
- Limit cross-discipline collaboration & integration, making it difficult to build a complete systems view that integrates multiple engineering disciplines;
- Make it impossible to model & simulate the behavior of systems in the context of a complete product, its environment or its interaction with other systems;
- Limit the ability to reuse system assets across multiple product ranges and options.
What is needed is a fully integrated systems development environment to address these challenges. An environment that makes it possible to create a high fidelity digital replica of the product and its embedded mechatronic systems to accurately predict and simulate their behavior through a rich 3D experience, just like in real life.
The Dassault Systèmes’ 3DEXPERIENCE platform for Systems Engineering provides such an integrated solution. It delivers an open, extensible & integrated systems engineering environment that shares a common and consistent set of systems models. It enables all engineering disciplines to create and share virtual twins of real smart products and their systems that make it possible to:
- Transform all aspects of developing embedded mechatronic systems, from defining and developing systems architectures through to their implementation and validation, all in the context of a virtual twin of the real product through a rich 3D experience.
- Improve decision-making at the conceptual design stage and reduce the need for physical prototypes through powerful 3D life-like simulation and validation.
- Collaborate and share information across all stakeholders through a shared common systems definition.
- Simulate the behavior of complex multi-physic systems in the context of the complete product and its environment.
- Validate the virtual twin of the product and its sub-systems earlier in the development cycle, saving costs and minimizing errors
- Reuse systems assets across multiple product ranges and options.
- Manage the complete product and systems development lifecycle by sharing an open, extendable and common systems data model and repository with all stakeholders.
To learn how this ‘3DEXPERIENCE platform for Systems Engineering’ can transform your embedded and mechatronic systems development process, watch this short webinar now.